Saturday, May 28, 2011

Time Travel and a few other things I learned...

It's always such a surreal feeling to leave one country (or in this case, travel through several in succession) on one day and arrive in what seems like an entirely different world 12 hours later but find that it's the exact time of day in which I left. 


Anyways, I'm still a little delirious from all the sleep deprivation, but I wanted to jot down these thoughts before I forget:


10) If you buy expensive bottles of wine abroad, be prepared to either have them  confiscated or risk having them crushed in the checked in baggage with the way the latter  is brutally handled. Trying to sneak them into the carry-on luggage, pretending you "forgot" they were in there, does not work...neither does fake crying when they're thrown away... 


9) As I alluded to in #10, don't expect to be able to use your checked in suitcase again after 8 flights. My poor luggage was broken, ripped, and violated in more ways than I care to share... but at least it made it. Other people had their baggage lost for days...thank goodness I packed an extra change of clothes in the carry on (as well as a roll of toilet paper and hand sanitizer)


8) Language is such an interesting aspect of each culture. It fascinates me to learn new words, as well learning to rely on context clues and the subtleties of body language when I don't understand what is being said. Immersion truly is the best way to pick up a new language, but it takes soooo much patience. In my 4 weeks in Lesotho, I probably only picked up a handful of phrases. Along those lines, people's perceptions of where you are from and what your intentions are (when you are the foreigner) makes you more sensitive to your own prejudices or preconceived notions when you are back in your "comfort zone." I will try to keep this in mind in my everyday interactions back home...


7) I confirmed that international airlines carry the best meal service... I was especially impressed with South African Airways. They offered real food and free unlimited wine. Plus, they seemed to have an extra couple of inches of leg room, which is key on a 10 hour flight... Speaking of long flights, I feel like my attempt to be considerate for the passengers sitting next to me by moving gingerly and strictly staying within the confines of the armrests, is always met with an inconsiderate passenger in front of me who leans their seat all the way back into my lap or the kicking child behind me whose parents don't know how to properly discipline...oh well...


6) I'm so glad I'm not a vegetarian! Though I've never been a huge red meat fan, the countries I visited in Africa pride themselves on their meat dishes. I absolutely loved tasting so many delicious local specialties featuring lamb, ostrich, antelope, buffalo, beef, and pork, not to mention  all the fresh seafood I had in Cape Town! Now staring at my empty fridge, I think I'll be going through withdrawal for a few days...


5) Traveling alone has several perks - aside from being able to be completely spontaneous and have no one to slow me down, I've learned that dining out as a single female usually gets me either an extra cocktail, dessert, or sushi roll for free just for striking up some conversation with the bartender or waiter...


4) Bed and breakfast lodges are awesome! Granted, it was a bit odd being the only guest at all 3 lodges I stayed at, but the advantage was that there was complete peace and quiet, I got free room upgrades with the best views, and my breakfasts were all cooked to my exact specifications...


3) Water is, indeed, the most precious resource for survival. I realized that I can learn to live without electricity, internet, phone, automobiles, etc but I am so grateful for being able to flush the toilet or take a shower in the U.S....I've always thought that the most important room in any house is the bathroom and I confirmed this overseas...


2) I learned that as long as I have a roof over my head and food to eat on a daily basis, I am blessed and already have much more than people living in other parts of the world. All this emphasis on material items like flashy cars, jewelry, clothes, electronics, etc seems so greedy and self-centered. I truly admire the people who are working or volunteering abroad and leave behind their family and friends for a greater cause. There is something to be said about acknowledging and fulfilling our individual and collective social responsibilities to make this world a better place. 


1) After seeing so many babies and children who from the day they are born, are fighting to survive against poverty, malnutrition, HIV, and the loss of their parents, I will never, ever take for granted that this life is truly a gift. And I only get to live it once, so now that I am freshly inspired and motivated, I promise to make a better effort to live each day to the  fullest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment