Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Happy Africa Day

Today is known as Happy Africa Day throughout the continent, which commemorates the 1963 founding of the Organization of African Unity. It's an official holiday, and occasion for celebration in many African countries. 


On this note, my journey to Africa comes to an end. Today was my last full day here and though it's been 5 weeks, it seemed to go by all too quickly. I spent my last couple of days in Cape Town and in a nearby quaint fisherman village of Kalk Bay. The first bed and breakfast I stayed in was in a very trendy neighborhood in Cape Town, with a private balcony that boasted gorgeous views of both Table Mountain and the city skyline. The room in the guest house where I am staying in Kalk Bay is actually lined with windows that all face the bay. And the best part is that I paid less for these rooms than I've paid for some meals here. I can't even imagine what either of these rooms would cost in the U.S.!!! I was so excited that I left all the windows open last night so that I could fall asleep to the sound of the waves crashing onto the rocks below. Unfortunately, the rain in the middle of the night made it's way in through there and soaked some of the carpet. Ooops! 



From here, I took the Metro to another neighboring village named Simons Town. Interestingly, the train route is all along the coast, with wonderful views of the beaches along this part of the peninsula. I was disappointed to find that the harbor's daily cruises to Cape Point and their kayaking and whale watching tours were all cancelled this week due to the inclement weather. They even have great white shark cage dives that have been featured on National Geographic, Discovery channel, and BBC, with pictures of celebrities who have undergone the adventure. I was tempted to try it, but again, the dive had been cancelled due to the weather. 



So instead, I pressed onward and walked to Boulder's Beach, where I had a picnic while watching the penguins swimming and sunbathing on the boulders for which the beach (actually a national wildlife reserve) gets its name. 







The afternoon actually turned out to be quite beautiful when the sun made its appearance for a few hours. Unfortunately, there aren't any taxis or any form of transportation from Boulder's Beach to Cape Point. Apparently, you either have to have your own vehicle or arrive in a pre-arranged tour bus. My solution to this dilemma was to hire a local street vendor to drive me there. I wouldn't exactly call it hitchhiking, but in retrospect, perhaps it wasn't the smartest move as a single female... anyways, I was fortunate enough that everything went well. Once inside the national park, I made the steep climb to the lighthouse at the top of Cape Point and then on to the Cape of Good Hope, which is the south-western most point of the African continent. Didn't spot any whales but I did see some shipwreck remains and seals, ostriches, kudu, zebras, and baboons. I can't even begin to describe the incredible views but they were definitely well worth the trip over.







Now I have to find some way to make my suitcases fit within the weight requirement at the airport. I've already left behind all the clothing I brought and the zippers all still bursting at the seams with all the little trinkets I've picked up during my stay...ugghhh... I hate packing... 

No comments:

Post a Comment